Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Framing science in Seattle

The Framing Science show comes to Seattle this Friday, and I'll be there to see if I can get one of the Nisbet/Mooney bobblehead sets for the first 50 people in the door (ok, just kidding about the bobbleheads). In case any friends of blogfish show up, please say hello.

What is framing science? The rather obvious proposition that facts don't speak for themselves, so somebody needs to set the context in order for facts to matter. Obvious to anyone who does this type of work, but strangely not obvious to a subset of grouchy practicing scientists who find framing to be an affront to their values. Harumph!

New framing article just out in The Scientist, by Matt Nisbet and coauthor Dietram Scheufele. Blogfish found air time at The Scientist with a blog post comment that they chose to print and a point/counterpoint interview that will soon be a podcast on The Scientist's website. Hmmm...they seem very smart on integrating new media with print.

2 comments:

thomas robey said...

Look for me at the Pacific Science Center. I'll be the guy up in front introducing the speakers. Let's hope that Seattle is a Friday night science crowd!

Anonymous said...

discus cichlids
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.