Monday, June 16, 2008

Salmon and halibut dinner

I enjoyed a fantastic father's day dinner of salmon and halibut last Sunday. Wild-caught fish from the Pacific Ocean, cooked very plain on a grill. I didn't feel the least bit guilty, in fact it was my non-religious version of communion. Right after a family day at the beach (see photos). It doesn't get any better than this.

Those of you who want to stop eating fish can go ahead and stop. That'll leave more for me.

I'm not going to defend my choices with chapter and verse about catch methods and population size. I could probably find fault with the sustainability of just about every fish in any fish market if I wanted to. That's the joy and the curse of being a marine biologist and ocean conservationist and spending all of my time every day thinking and learning about such issues.

I just finished reading Bottomfeeder by Taras Grescoe. Good book, and he derives a reasonable approach to deciding how to eat ethically from the ocean. Until...near the end when he makes some blunders in his choices. But I'm not going to pick on him for that, rather I'm going to pick on his approach to "eating ethically." Bottomfeeder offers a list of things that need fixing in order to restore and maintain healthy oceans. And then he offers some suggestions on what to do that have absolutely zero connection to the stuff that needs fixing. Doesn't he see it? If that's eating ethically, it feels good but nothing changes, and that doesn't seem very satisfying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great pictures, and a surprise to see my niece, nephew, brother and sister in law on the blog. I am with you, no apologies needed for enjoying the occasional Salmon or Halibut. Our family is fortunate to live in Alaska where we can catch them fresh. My extended family right now is on the annual Powell/Coen/Miller/Williams fishing retreat on the Gulkana River about 200 miles from here. They have been there most of the week while I, unfortunately have been hopping around Alaska. Since last week: Cantwell, Healy, Hughes, Anaktuvuk Pass, Kotzebue, Point Hope, Selawik. I just got home a few hours ago, and heard from my wife who told be that the entire group has managed to catch 13 fish this week, Kings and Reds, not sure how many of each. I was not able to go as the junior man in my office (at 51?) I get last choice in vacation. You are doing a good job with your practical approach and I don't see why you should change anything. Like they say, you can catch more flies (or fish) with honey than vinegar.

Anonymous said...

Oops, didn't mean to be anonymous on the last post....