Thursday, July 12, 2012

Explosion blows out big dam, wahoo!

OK river cowboys, here's your dream. Watch as an explosion blows out the bottom of a big dam (471 feet long, 125 feet high) and the reservoir floods out of the hole. Man's work undone in the blink of an eye, and nature restored. It'll be years before recovery is complete, perhaps decades. But it's grand glory to watch this critical beginning of the process.

This dam is in salmon country, where I'm from, in the Columbia River gorge in Washington. I've been there, I've seen it, and I argued for it's removal. What a reward. I only wish I had been there to see it in person.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Human beings doing 'the right thing!' Thanks for this inspiring, encouraging video! Hurray for the salmon. AT LAST the blockage to their home is removed! May they thrive again!