Sunday, September 14, 2008

Urban fishing proves our oceans are still alive

The ocean is alive, even in New York City. And here's a story about catching some fine fish from New York's gritty shores.

I can't help but think of hot city fishing when I hear that our oceans are dying. I know that we have real ocean conservation problems. But I also know that life is tough and resilient and not easily snuffed out.

I love city fish because of what they prove. And because of the way they provide an ocean connection to people who can't get out to remote islands. I've done some city fishing myself, although not in New York. As said in the article, when you pull in a thrashing ocean fish from a city beach, "you're really in a different world" when you're out there and "you feel like you've gotten away with something."

3 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

I grew up fishing under highway bridges and train trestle. I have just been out fishing on a jetty that is full of boat and car traffic, I saw a really nice size trevally pulled out and had my enthusiasm rekindled for urban fishing. Great post.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

hmmm, East River whitefish....

Then there is the contaminant studies related to NYC fish-eaters...

Tight Lines ; ))

Anonymous said...

good blog