Monday, April 13, 2009

Your butts don't belong in my ocean

And now we're doing something about it. Cigarette butts are the number one biggest debris item cleaned off of beaches in the Ocean Conservancy's International Coastal Cleanup.

Now the state of Oregon (love my home state!) is doing something about it with a leading effort to get butts off the beach. An Oregon state representative is sponsoring a bill to make littering with cigarette butts illegal.

This is a "butts off the beach" effort that I can really get behind.

3 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

Here in Fiji I would have to say it is plastic bottles. A one mile stretch that I walk 4-5 times a week is littered with them. I picked up a 50kg sack of plastic bottles everyday and never saw the end of them. Absolutely amazing.

Unknown said...

Hold on thats all we need more legislation, Is there not already a law against littering in the state of Oregon and all states for that matter. I dont get it start writing tickets already. Next they are going to tax smokers to pay for health care.

equa yona(Big Bear) said...

Screw the littering law, outlaw smoking on the damn beach! Why should little kids and non-smokers have to suffer so some butt-head can satisfy her addiction during our rec time in our rec space?