Sunday, April 27, 2008

Shark bite hits close to home

Swimmer killed by great white shark. A very rare event, but this one hits close to home. I used to swim on this beach in Southern California.

Worrying about shark attacks is silly, the risk is very, very low. But it's hard to avoid picturing the horrendous image of being held in the mouth of an 18-foot long, 2,000 pound shark. Especially after watching this shark attack video. I do NOT want a piece of that action.

When I was in graduate school in the 1980s, I used to swim on the beaches of San Diego County, including Solana Beach where the recent fatal shark attack occurred. It was great fun to swim out around local buoys or across coves, sometimes up to a mile across some deeper water. Occasionally, I would get a creepy feeling, and ignore it and keep on swimming. This time, it was real for one swimmer.

No comments: